c

Sunday, January 15, 2006

advice needed please!

Firstly, some more screenprinting show and tell.... I bought some linen and made these Jill-label tea towels for my mum's birthday. I'm very proud of these as they're wholly designed by me - I especially love how the daisy came out - it was inspired by a photo in a gardening magazine. I was hoping the purple would be a bit purpler but I think they look quite good anyway. Borrowed a sewing machine to do the hems. I think that may have to be my next capital purchase.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

To the advice... as a novice knitter I don't know much about... well anything to do with knitting really. Maybe an exaggeration but I am having trouble deciding on a yarn substitution. I want to knit Samus but Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted [85% wool/15% mohair; 190 yds/171m per 100g skein] doesn't seem to be available easily anywhere here.

The weight suggested to me that it would be equivalent to a 12 ply but I've tried knitting squares on several sizes of needles and keep ending up with around 14 st per 4 inches instead of the suggested 19. I've just done a square of Jo Sharp Luxury 8 ply DK Pure Wool on 4.5 mm needles which has come out at about 19 st and 26 rows per 4 inches, which is good! But it's quite a different weight to the suggested yarn. I wonder if this will this cause any problems? Are there any knitting readers out there who could suggest another good substitute?
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 3:10 am, Blogger Sara said...

Sorry, can't help you with the yarn, although a DK weight does sound a bit light compared to LP worsted. An aran weight might work better.

Love your dishtowels! (and the baby t!) I always wanted to try screen printing, that was something my dad always did, but I never learned how. Maybe I should jump on the bandwagon....

 
At 4:00 am, Blogger eireann said...

I am probably even more novice at knitting than you are (alas!), but I can tell you that I like how clean (!!!) your printing comes out. Do you pin to a soft table, or do it otherwise?

Thanks for the comment on my 'delurk!' post. :)

 
At 9:50 am, Anonymous Kathleen said...

I don't even know what you're talking about! What is a "skein"?

 
At 9:31 pm, Blogger Di said...

I reckon that you should use whatever yarn you like that gives you the right guage. I don't know what the LP yarn is like, so it's hard to comment, but it may be worth googling and see what other people are knitting it in?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home