c

Sunday, January 08, 2006

from a long line of crafty people

I had a great day today with my parents and my Annie working on and talking about projects and plans for future craftiness! Annie was patchworking; she and mum did lots of scribbling and discussing and hypothesising about what type of yarn would be best to attempt a Samus cardi in; and dad and I (well mostly dad) finally took another step with my biggest ufo!

We need more storage in our kitchen. I love those old fashioned kitchen cabinets - my grandfather had one - I especially like the quaint latches which were around I suppose before magnetic closures and self closing hinges. I found this one out the back of a dusty antiques shop. Nick was not convinced of its potential - paint peeling, rusty latches, weighs a ton, home to various 8-legged critters - but it's my first furniture restoration project!

A before shot:

and progress so far....

paint stripped, glass removed, ancient putty chipped away, belt and orbital sanded to within an inch of its life. Still to do: more sanding, more paint removal, find a couple of replacement latches and handles, replace warped plywood, decide how to finish it (thinking varnish and scandinavian oil?) and lug it up to the kitchen! By which time it will probably be time to move out!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2:43 am, Blogger Peggy said...

I love the cabinet! I will be working on my kitchen this spring. Am going to make it very primitive by removing our range and only having a wood cookstove. will take out the cabinets and use open shelves. I already have an old hoosier cabinet and use it everyday. Will be back to visit often. Came by way of friend Kali

 
At 2:22 pm, Anonymous Kathleen said...

Go the cupboard! It looks fantastic - a lot better than some of our actual in-use furniture to be completely honest. And I love the new look for the blog - new year, very you :)

 
At 6:38 pm, Blogger Kali said...

Hi Jill ~ thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment. It sure is a lovely community to be a part of, I for one have gained many great ideas, and friends since I started.
It's great that your from Tassie too!
BTW ~ I adore old furniture and think your are doing a wonderful job on it. Can't wait to see it finished :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home