c

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

finished socks reporting for duty


Woo hoo! The socks are finished! I can hardly believe it. The feeling of relief is immense. As I've mentioned before, I'm so bad with deadlines. It's always been the same - at Uni, at work - I am nearly always late for life in general - I don't know why I thought this would be different! I've been feeling very guilty about letting down my sock pal, and being a poor sockapaloooza participant in general... anyway, no matter - I'm done!

I found the Jaywalker pattern very well written and easy to follow, once I got the hang of what I was doing and got going on the skinny needles and spiderweb-ish yarn (I think it's going to feel like knitting with spaghetti when I go back to Samus).

It took me a while to work out the pattern on the first sock. I am really hoping they my pal fit as the pattern is not very stretchy at all and the foot wound up a bit short (the toe was supposed to be two inches but only took about one).

I've blocked them now (my first blocking experience) now and it has really helped to smooth out some of the knobs and wrinkly bits, and they are looking good I think! The macro photo below is probably the best indication of the true colour - here are the socks relaxing in a cool bath :)

As for the experience, now that I'm at the end I can say I did quite enjoy the process but it ended up being a bit stressful and mono-project towards the end. I am happier when I can switch between things and not have the pressure to finish on time. I might try another pair of socks for me some time, perhaps with some softer yarn and a different pattern, but not in the very near future.

I'll post these off tomorrow hopefully, then I can sit back and wait for my own mail-sock-love to arrive!


PS. The first photo was taken on my desk at work - we are counting down to the shortest day of the year so it is still pretty dark when I leave for work and very dark when I get home so not ideal conditions for a photo shoot - the socks are resting on my next lot of work-related deadlines - eeek!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 7:42 am, Blogger Kali said...

Yay, yippee, well done!!
Look out those wonderful socks ~ I am in awe of your knitting talent.
Maybe oneday I will get to the stage of knitting a pair of socks (haha ~ if only!)
I'm pretty similar with deadlines, I can relate to how you feel :)

 
At 9:32 am, Blogger littlesnoring said...

Congrats!!

They look great - I am in awe!

 
At 9:25 pm, Anonymous Kate said...

Congratulations on the socks - they look great! My attempts at knitting for my nephews have not yet been completed in time for them to not have grown out of them.

I can also relate to your running in late - I'm chronically running late. It's nice to hear someone who admits it!

 
At 9:26 pm, Anonymous Kate said...

Ooops what I meant was a similar person.

 
At 3:31 pm, Blogger Kali said...

Hi Jill, I just wanted to get back to you with the link to where I posted on my finished owl cushion you asked about over at my blog...You might want to go and have a look later.

http://vintagehouseholdtas.blogspot.com/2006/03/its-been-hoot-pardon-pun.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home